How to Make a Thai Red Coconut Veggie Curry
Thai red coconut curry is one of my favorite meals that’s quick to make but doesn’t sacrifice on flavor. It is spicy, creamy, and I don’t even miss the meat (although super easy to add in if you want the extra protein).
What is Thai Curry?
Curry is a very generic term, kind of like noodles. There are many different variations of curry from country to country and even huge regional variations within countries. For example, in Thailand there are yellow, panang, massaman, green, and red curries to name a few. Thai red curry paste is generally made with red peppers, lemongrass, garlic, along with other spices. Red curry paste in my opinion is probably the most versatile and what I like to keep on hand at home for quick meals.
Curry paste is the most important ingredient of this dish. Buying a pre-made paste saves so much time than trying to make it from scratch. It also gives the dish the majority of its flavorful so it is important to use a good brand. My favorite Thai curry paste that I’ve tried is the Maesri brand. It comes in a tin can and is pretty spicy too. You can usually find it at your local Asian grocery store like H Mart or 99 Ranch. Maesri also makes curry paste in a bunch of different flavors too if you want to make other types of Thai curries.
Veggie or Protein Options
I try to incorporate meatless meals on the weekdays and Thai red coconut curry is always one of those meals where I don’t really miss the meat. Some of my favorite veggies to include are carrots, sweet potato, red bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, and onions. It’s also a great fridge clean out meal, just throw whatever you have on hand, everything will taste great covered in curry! If you want some added protein, it’s also easy to just throw it in, and simmer it with the veggies. I like to use chicken but you could also do shrimp, beef, pork, etc. Sear it first then add to the pot to simmer with everything else. Like I said before, red curry is pretty versatile so the flavors will work with just about anything!
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see! Tag me on IG @feedmi_ or TikTok @feedmi
Thai Red Coconut Curry with Veggies
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs red curry paste (Maesri brand)
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- veggies of your choice
- Thai basil
- To a pan on medium heat, add coconut oil.
- Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook until soft and onions translucent.
- Add curry paste and cook for a 2 minutes to bring out the flavors.
- Add veggies of choice, harder veggies first (i.e. carrots, potatoes) and save leafy greens for last right before serving (i.e. spinach, kale).
- Add coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and lime.
- Simmer for 15-30 minutes or until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Taste test and adjust to preference.
- Garnish with Thai basil and cilantro. Serve with rice.